From Tenipuri Info
|Eyesight (Unaided)||Right 0.7, Left 0.5|
|High School||Unknown (3rd Year)|
|Racket(s)||Mizuno (F97 COMP)|
|Manga Debut||Genius #|
|Anime Debut||Episode #|
Tanegashima Shuuji (
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 History
- 4 Play Style
- 5 Personal Information
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Music
- 9 Gallery
- 10 Quotes
- 11 References
His appearance doesn't change much between the anime and manga with the exception of his eyes that are brown in the manga, and a purple hue in the anime. He has bright platinum hair that falls stylishly in messy waves. He is darker skinned than the majority of the characters.
When he's first introduced, masquerading as a member of the 2nd Stringers, he wears the white Team Japan U-17 jersey like the rest of the winner's camp. However, once he's revealed as a member of the 1st Stringers instead, he is shown to only wear his red jersey properly to begin with. He switches to wearing it partially - his left arm completely free from the jacket, though he keeps it partially zipped to prevent it from completely falling off. He wears his number two pin on his jacket's collar.
Tanegashima is very playful by nature, and never seems to take things too seriously. He likes to push people's buttons, in particular when he gets an interesting reaction out of them. Some of his antics could be seen as childish, such as when he stole Sanada Genichirou and Kaidou Kaoru's water bottles while they were on a run together. While on the surface it doesn't seem like there's much depth to his personality, he's very perceptive - especially when others try to pass things off, like when he threw the towel at Irie Kanata to prove that Irie wasn't actually injured.
He is one of the most gifted players on the circuit, his position as Japan's number two well earned. He will use unconventional means to try new things. For example, he held a bottle cap at the end of his tennis racquet while playing so that the ball's motion couldn't be predicted as he himself didn't know where the ball would land. He holds full confidence in his doubles partner, even going so far as to sit down on the court in the middle of the match because he knew Oomagari could handle it.
Prior to the events of the main story
Due to his hatred of airplanes, he did not join the rest of the 1st Stringers in their trip abroad, instead opting to remain at the training camp and be with the 2nd Stringers.
U-17 Training Camp
tokugawa, segway, cruising, blah blah
taking shiraishi's place, blah blah
Tanegashima is a defensive All-Rounder player who negates any special moves thrown at him. His stats are off the charts and doesn't seem to truly struggle with any kind of opponent regardless of their play style.
Fanbook 10.5 Information
Speed - 5: No matter what kind of ball, he is able to nimbly return it. He polished his kinetic vision through rail shooting games.
Power - 5: The secret of his superior muscles lies in his bones. It seems the collagen he gets from consuming pig feet strengthens them.
Stamina - 5: Because he is always trying to see through his opponent's abilities while in battle, he can play at his own pace at almost all times. He almost never has to worry about his stamina depleting in the middle of a match.
Mental - 7: He is the kind of person who does things just to amuse himself, so he can change even a pinch into a chance. Because flexibility supports his foundation, whether it be enemy or ally, he has the acumen to see through and surpass them.
Technique - 6: With the skills to hit a can into the trashcan behind himself without even looking, he has a shining level of control.
Kurobe's Memo: His natural perception is incredible. Coupled with his large field of vision, he is able to see through his opponent's weaknesses. Because he's always riding his Segway around, he has become accustomed to seeing things that move at incredible speeds. However, his one flaw is that he is a very moody person. In real matches, he has a tendency to recklessly show off.
Tanegashima voids his own mind, making his attacks unpredictable.
By using his special ability of transmitting visual information directly to his wrists, Tanegashima voids the firepower of his opponent's shot and drops it outside of their reach on the counter.
- School Committee: The Committee for Livings Things
- Hobbies: Gun shooting (likely of the game variety), cruising on his segway
- Dislikes: Airplanes
- Most Wanted Item: Ear plugs, a Nightbot One hoverboard
- His Routine During Tournaments: Swimming in the hotel pool at night
- Skills Outside of Tennis: Swimming
- Favorite Food: Gim (韓国のり, lit. Korean seaweed) and pig's feet
- Favorite Color: Light blue
- Favorite Motto: “All things come from nothingness.”
- Favorite Book: He buys fashion magazines where he’s on the cover
- Favorite Type: A girl who will have fun with him at Disneyland
- Favorite Date Spot: A night pool (a nighttime party-like pool to hang out at with your friends that's a common Instagram spot)
- Oomagari Ryuuji
- Despite his playful antics, Oomagari appears to be quite tolerant to Tanegashima, going so far as to letting him sit down on court in the middle of the match.
- Shiraishi Kuranosuke
- Tanegashima stepped in Shiraishi's place in the World Cup match against Greece when he sees Shiraishi freeze from the pressure. He challenges him to "Look Over There" (a variation of rock, paper, scissors that is either played alone or in conjunction). and easily takes the victory because Shiraishi was so out of it. He calls Shiraishi 'Nosuke.
- Sanada Genichirou
- Sanada has very little tolerance to Tanegashima, and is very quick to let him get under his skin. Tanegashima steals his water bottle while riding around the training camp grounds on his segway.
- He speaks in the Kansai dialect.
- He never loses in a game of "Look Over There."
- His hometown is on an island down south.
- He doesn't like airplanes, so he travelled to Tokyo by boat.
- He was scouted for modeling while walking with Kimijima Ikuto and has experience modeling for a magazine.
- In the original text, he uses a lot of ☆s.
- Tanegashima is in room 101 at U17 by himself. His comment about having the room to himself is, "It's not like I wanted to have the room to myself~ Without the first team here, I was all by myself. It was really lonely. Won't anyone come and visit?" After the 1st string returned, he shares room 134 with Oomagari at the U-17 Training Camp. During the World Cup, he shares room 1104 with Toono.
Messages to Tanegashima!
- “Seeing your ‘flash tennis’ inspired me to a new level. I really can’t express my gratitude enough.” - Shiraishi Kuranosuke
- “I’ve been practicing a new song. You’ll listen to me play without running away this time, right? Ju~ust kidding.” - Irie Kanata
- “You’re a brave man, deceiving me like that. I admire it. Was this meeting guided by the Twelve Olympians or what?” - Zeus Iliopoulos
- “Tanegashima-san, you hate airplanes? But you’re lucky that you can watch brand new movies on the in-flight entertainment seatback screens.” - Sengoku Kiyosumi
- "If you can't beat me in 'Look Over There,' then you can't beat us at tennis. ☆"